Areas of Interest:
Heat Transfer, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Combustion, Biomass energy, Rural energy systems.
Details of current research areas:
Details of current research areas:
- Combustion characteristics of gaseous fuel mixtures, measurement of burning velocity of such mixtures, to investigate the effect of composition and equivalence ratio on burning velocity and stability regimes of flame. Computational simulation of open flames of such mixtures to study the effects of stretch field and preferential diffusion effects on the stability regimes.
- Development and investigation of Biomass Gasification and Combustion systems, with specific interest in small scale (<=20 kW) systems for thermal and electrical applications, and powdery biomass based systems.
- Energy Audit of rural industrial systems such as pottery kilns, soap stoves, smithy kilns etc. with an objective of fuel savings in such systems by applying basic principles of heat transfer and combustion. Development of energy-efficient alternatives for such systems.
- B.Sc (Applied Sciences) from University of Madras: 1984.
- M.E. (Mechanical Engineering) from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore: 1988.
- Ph.D. (Mechanical Engineering) from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore: 1991.
- Thesis Title: Multidimensional Modelling of Uniflow Scavenging in Two-Stroke Engines
- Professor, Mechanical Engineering, IIT Delhi: since August 2008.
- Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering, IIT Delhi: July, 2001 - July 2008.
- Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, IIT Delhi: July 1996 - July 2001.
- Visiting Faculty (Assistant Professor), Mechanical Engineering, IIT Bombay: August 1994 - June 1996.
- Chercheur Associé, Laboratoire FAST, CNRS, Orsay, France: March 1993 - June 1994
- Development of in-house CFD code for modeling solidification in the presence of double-diffusive convection due to both temperature and concentration gradients in an enclosure.
- Research Associate, TU Delft, the Netherlands: October 1991 - October 1992
- Instability of steady laminar natural convection flows in rectangular enclosures
- CFD model development using an in-house computer code for an industrial glass furnace
- K Singh, B Premachandran, MR Ravi, Numerical investigation of film cooling on a 2D corrugated surface, Numerical Heat Transfer, Part A: Applications 70 (11), 1253-1270, 2016.
- KB Sutar, MR Ravi, S Kohli, Design of a partially aerated naturally aspirated burner for producer gas, Energy 116, 773-785, 2016.
- K Singh, B Premachandran, MR Ravi, Experimental assessment of film cooling performance of short cylindrical holes on a flat surface, Heat and Mass Transfer, 1-14, 2016.
- KB Sutar, S Kohli, MR Ravi, A Ray, Biomass cookstoves: A review of technical aspects, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 41, 1128-1166, 2015.
- C Prathap, A Ray, MR Ravi, Effects of dilution with carbon dioxide on the laminar burning velocity and flame stability of H2–CO mixtures at atmospheric condition, Combustion and Flame 159 (2), 482-492, 2012.
- VR Kishore, MR Ravi, A Ray, Adiabatic burning velocity and cellular flame characteristics of H2–CO–CO2–air mixtures, Combustion and Flame 158 (11), 2149-2164, 2011.
- C Prathap, A Ray, MR Ravi, Investigation of nitrogen dilution effects on the laminar burning velocity and flame stability of syngas fuel at atmospheric condition, Combustion and Flame 155 (1), 145-160, 2008.
- S Sinha, A Jhalani, MR Ravi, A Ray , Modelling of pyrolysis in wood: a review, SESI Journal 10 (1), 41-62, 2000.
- MR Ravi, R Henkes, CJ Hoogendoorn , On the high-Rayleigh-number structure of steady laminar natural-convection flow in a square enclosure, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 262, 325-351, 1994.