> Student Co-Curricular Activities
Student Co-Curricular Activities
Realizing the importance of learning beyond class rooms, the department encourages students to indulge in co-curricular activities. Some of the important activities in which students have participated and accomplished are given below.
- Mechanical Engineering Society (MES) whose members include both undergraduate and post graduate students periodically organizes lecture/seminars/demonstrations, industrial visits, technical contests.
- Robocon India organized by Doordarshan is a national robotics contest held annually having teams participating from IITs, NITs and other engineering colleges. The winners of this contest get an opportunity to represent India in the Asia-Pacific level. IIT Delhi teams under the guidance of Prof S K Saha have been participating in Robocon since 2003. IIT students teams have won the best manual robot award twice (2006 & 2008) and were national champions in the year 2007 when they represented India in Hanoi, Vietnam for the ABU-Robocon competition.
- Every year student teams design and build a new multi-terrain vehicle and participate in Mini Baja competition organized by Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) in various parts of the world. IIT Delhi team has been participating in this event since 2005 when the event was held in South Africa.
- Society of Automobile Engineers (SAE) has been holding a student formula car competition named Formula-SAE for last 22 years, in which about 300 teams from 5 continents compete with cars designed and built by them. IIT Delhi student team is one of them which participated in the competition held at California Speedway, Fontana, CA, USA.
- A team of third year B.Tech. students from Civil and Mechanical engineering participated in the Humanitarian Shelter Student-Design Contest (HSSDC) held by American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and secured second position among many Asian teams which participated in the contest. Student teams have been participating in the Human Powered Vehicle Competition organized by ASME.